Youth development is a process that prepares a young person to meet the challenges of adolescence and adulthood and achieve his or her full potential. Youth development is promoted through activities and experiences that help youth develop social, ethical, emotional, physical, and cognitive competencies.
Youth leadership is part of the youth development process and supports the young person in developing:
(a) the ability to analyze his or her own strengths and weaknesses, set personal and vocational goals, and have the self-esteem, confidence, motivation, and abilities to carry them out (including the ability to establish support networks in order to fully participate in community life and effect positive social change); and
(b) the ability to guide or direct others on a course of action, influence the opinions and behaviors of others, and serve as a role model.
Mentor/Mentee Programs, Counseling, Support
- Big Brothers Big Sisters - Our mission is to help children facing adversity in Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano Counties change their lives for the better through the power of one-to-one mentoring.
- California Youth Crisis Line - 1-800-843-5200 - The California Youth Crisis Line (CYCL) operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week as the statewide emergency response system for youth (ages 12-24) and families in crisis.
- First Place for Youth - Youth transitioning out of foster care
- Teen Resources in Times of Crisis (KP.org) - Resources for youth in an abusive situation, dealing with a rape, pregnant, depressed, questioning your sexuality, wondering if you have contracted a sexually transmitted disease, or searching for a safe haven.
- Young Adult Health (KP.org) - There’s a lot of health information out there, but with a visit to our site you can find health information you can trust—all in one place.
- Youth Employment Opportunity Program (YEOP) - State program providing special services to assist youth between the ages of 15 and 25 in achieving their educational and vocational goals.
- SparkPoint, Fairfield - Created by United Way Bay Area, SparkPoint provides low-income residents with financial coaching, career counseling and more at 13 family-friendly locations.
- Rio Vista Youth Services - Rio Vista Youth Services impacts youth with positive mentor-ship, community interaction and recreation applications that inspire self-confidence, friendship, and integrity in the hearts of all participants, as well as volunteers and supporters.
- Fighting Back Partnership - Vallejo's Fighting Back Partnership is a non-profit collaboration that partners with business, residents, and government to improve neighborhoods, strengthen families, and support youth development creating a safe, healthy and thriving community.
- SparkPoint, Vallejo - Created by United Way Bay Area, SparkPoint provides low-income residents with financial coaching, career counseling and more at 13 family-friendly locations.
Activity & Leadership Programs
- Vacaville Neighborhood Boys & Girls Club
- Vacaville Police Activities League
- Vacaville REACH Youth Coalition